What is Panini? Panini is an Italian word which means “bread” or the diminutive of bread “bread roll” with which you can make “sandwiches”. In other words, Panini is bread, other than white bread, used to make a grilled sandwich. This sandwich can be made with a variety of fillings.
Bread that can be used to make a Panini can be Ciabatta bread, Michetta bread and baguettes. The bread is not sliced but cut horizontally. It can then be filled with basically any type of sandwich ingredients. Deli products like ham, cheese, salami, etc. are favourites to fill this sandwich. The sandwich is served hot, pressed by a warming grill, or at room temperature.
Is all bread Vegetarian? Mostly, yes. You can buy bagels, flatbread, muffins, sandwich bread and buns in the usual grocery store, as well as, in natural health stores. But, you can always bake your own bread.
Give your next sandwich that fresh, homemade, taste, and bake your own Panini bread.
Vegetarian Panini recipe:
This tutorial shows how easy making your own delicious home-baked bread can be.
Quick and Easy Panini Bread:
2 cups flour (all-purpose)
1 cup flour (whole wheat)
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 & ¼ cups warm water
¼ cup olive oil
2 teaspoon salt
1. Heat oven to 450 grades Fahrenheit.
2. Sift the whole wheat flour, the all-purpose flour and the salt together on a large flat surface
3. Add the instant yeast to the warm water and let it sit for at least 2 minutes.
4. Make a well in the sifted flour mixture; pour the water and oil in the well.
5. Knead the dough until well combined, do not over-mix the dough.
6. Place dough in a pre-oiled bowl. Cover the bowl. Let the dough sit, at room temperature for about 2 – 3 hours.
7. Flour a wooden cutting board. Cut dough into 12 equal sized pieces.
8. Knead each of the 12 pieces gently. Again let it sit for about 1 & ½ hours. This is the second proof.
9. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes at 450 grades Fahrenheit.
10. When the Panini reach 1 & ½ times the original size, make a slash along the tops with your knife.
Is Yeast Vegetarian? Yes, yeast is all over, and everywhere; inside your body and in the air. But, it is not derived from animals.
Vegetarian fillings for Panini:
Have a look at this delicious grilled vegetarian Panini tutorial. It smells good even just watching the video!
Grilled Vegetable Panini Recipe:
1 tablespoon of olive oil
½ medium sized red onion, thinly sliced half rings
1 medium Zucchini, sliced lengthwise
3 cups of mixed (yellow, orange and red) bell peppers
Salt and pepper to taste
Italian herb oil (Recipe follows)
½ baguette cut into two sandwiches
6 thinly sliced mozzarella
Italian Herb Oil:
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried parsley
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
Pinch of salt
Pinch of red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
Mix together well. Leave at room temperature until ready to use.
1. Toss zucchini, bell peppers and red onion in olive oil until coated well. Season the mixture with the salt and pepper.
2. Add the olive oil coated vegetables to a heated grill and cook until tender and caramelized. This will take approximately 5 minutes on either side. Take off the grill.
3. Assembling your sandwich; start by smearing the freshly mixed Italian herb oil on the insides of each baguette.
4. Layer each sandwich with the grilled vegetables. Top the sandwich with the sliced mozzarella. Put the built sandwiches back on the grill and cook for 2 – 3 minutes on each side, until cheese has melted. Weigh down the sandwich with a heavy object (cover with aluminium foil when you use something like a brick) if you do not have a sandwich press (grill).
Try out this freshly baked and prepared Panini at home. It has never been this easy to have great food prepared by yourself in your own home. You can also try 5 Game-Changing Panini Press Recipes.